Sunday 21 August 2011

Teceira Part 2 -16 to 30 July 2011


Angra Town Hall


After my friends on Rona left for Flores I stayed on a few days in Angra to enjoy a little more of this attractive city.It has an impressive Town Hall with some furniture that caught my eye. Maybe not to my taste but well made and clearly barley twists were the in thing when they were made. There was a small exhibition of photographs of the ancient oxe cart tracks on the island. The iron clad wheels cut deep channels in the bassalt rock.
Oxe Cart Tracks




    
Door in the Library
















Tiles in Library Stairwell







Library







Balconies are a common feature










70 year old Biscuito wine stored in a shop roof-not for sale














Angra marina






























They decided to give the troops from the nearby fort some air experience,closed the marina for a couple of hours and ferried them from the dock. Tax payers and EU contributors got a chance to see where their money goes.







Shop's logo built in to Pavement


The shop has it's name and logo built into the pavement. Not a bad idea to catch the eye.





Moving round the 15 nm to Praia da Vitoria was a pleasant afternoon sail where I dropped anchor for the night. The next day an alongside berth was offered and the cost at this municipal marina is very low. Friends in the UK who occasionally drift into a marina may have trouble believing it is 6.5 Euros per day, elctricity and water included for a 12 metre yacht.

I was keen to visit the marina as I plan to lift out here in Oct for the winter. As in so many enterprises it is not what you know but who you know that is important. My research indicated that it would be next to impossible to organise a lift out without the assistance of Pedro so I was very keen to make his aquaintance. He turnd out to be knowledgeable ,friendly and business -like so I now feel reassured the ducks are in line for my liftout and not too much will be left to chance. And for my yachtie friends in the UK let me just say the over winter rates are so low it would have serious health repercussions if I were to divulge them.

Praia da Vitoria has some fine examples of pavement and wall art. It boasts a long sandy beach with a recently completed promenade getting on for a mile long with cycle track and lots of benches. I was interested to see good citizens of the town are commemorated with tile cameos on walls around the town.



Main Street Praia da Vitoria




















































If you were drunk and walked along these nice wavy lines would you think they were straight?


















Praia da Vitoria Beach











Jester in Praia da Vitoria Marina
You would have to be a true devotee of the class to do an Atlantic circuit in this one. No cockpit-you steer from inside. The owner had no time for anything other than his beloved Jester and he was at great pains to be sure you understood what a remarkable vessel it was. I realised too late showing an interest in it would cost me a great deal of time if I was to avoid offending him.