Saturday 18 June 2011

Bermuda

Some time ago I made contact with Sue Smith via a crewing agency when I was looking for crew for the passage to the Azores. The timings didn't suit her but she offered to show me around Bermuda where she lived when I arrived. I phoned her a couple of days after I arrived and true to her word she arranged to collect Eva and I and give us a guided tour of the island. She was very generous with her time and laid on a wonderful lunch on her yacht which she lives on moored at the old naval dockyard. We saw the whole island with a guide who I believe is 10th generation Bermudean. Thank you Sue you were very kind.



Bermuda is a neat somewhat overcrowded well to do island with some spectacular views. It has no underground water supplies to speak of so by law every building must have a water catchment set up. Most of its economy is geared to banking and reinsurance with tourism an also ran despite the frequent visits by cruise ships.


The island was strategically of great importance to the Royal Navy and they built a fine dockyard to support the fleet. This now hosts the cruise ships with buildings restored and offering every kind of wallet emptying opportunity for the passengers.








The very small section in the center lifte to allow a mast to pass!

Perhaps I should send this picture to our Met Office-it might improve the accuracy of their forecasting.

















A day or two before Sue's guided tour I hired a scooter and with hide sight this picture below has some significance as will become clear in the account of the passage to the Azores.